Sponsored Launch Fueled by the City of Sierra Vista and the Southeastern Arizona Chamber Foundation
The University of Arizona Center for Innovation (UACI) is a startup incubator network with outposts across the Southern Arizona region and a mission to grow scalable startup ventures that fuel the Arizona economy. Since inception in 2003, the program has directly served over 170 companies and impacted thousands of entrepreneurs. This is done through providing access to people, programming and places that help entrepreneurs take their companies from idea to market.
Through a collaboration and sponsorship with the City of Sierra Vista and the Southeastern Arizona Chamber Foundation, UACI is offering a sponsored year at the incubator for three deserving startups with a committed team that is working to solve a significant business or social challenge in the science and technology industry. This prize package will also include office space at with the Industrial Development Authority of the City of Sierra Vista. The total prize package is valued at $5,000 per company.
• The startup exists/operates in Cochise County and can take advantage of UACI programming and space at the Industrial Development Authority of the City of Sierra Vista
• The startup is within the technology and science industry
• The startup is pursuing an innovative solution to a significant business or societal challenge
• The startup is pursuing a scalable business model
• The team has a strong overall commitment to commercializing its innovation
• The team must have at least two founders or team members contributing significant efforts and time to the startup
• The team should demonstrate a need for incubation services
• The team is making a significant difference in our local and global communities through innovation
"Partnerships propel business. The Southeastern Arizona Chamber Foundation's partnership with UACI, the City of Sierra Vista, and the Sierra Vista Industrial Development Authority via Sponsored Launch represents the convergence of innovative ideas and strategic partnership. Our region in Southeastern Arizona is science and tech based. Port 194 offers forward-thinking technology to support other businesses which ensures they are working directly with valid and ethical companies world wide. We stand in support of Port 194 and we're eager to see their growth," said Melany Edwards-Barton, CEO, Southeastern Arizona Chamber Foundation.
UACI Collaborates with community organizations to provide sponsored support into the incubator network through a competitive process. Applications were reviewed by a panel of community champions and the winner was selected by the following panel of judges:
- Dean Gary Packard, Dean of College of Applied Science and Technology, University of Arizona
- Jennifer Sorenson, Publisher, Herald/Review Media
- Jay Williamson, President and CEO, American Southwest Credit Union
- Vanessa Laurin, Tell Mama Lounge
The winning startup was selected because of their work on solutions for real-world problems and for their desire to make a significant difference in the local and global communities through innovation. Sponsored Launch was created to offset the cost of starting a business to provide more opportunities for startups to providing support for entrepreneurs at the local level. Sponsored Launch provides a platform for organizations and municipalities to invest in small businesses while also receiving acknowledgement of their goodwill. This unique collaboration between the incubator and community elevates impact by expanding offerings and stretching resources out to the community.